What a whirl wind it has become the past month. Between 50 hours a week at work and the weekend trips and catching up on sleep and chores, doesn’t leave much room for writing.
Well yours truly is back from 2 races and about to embark on a third race weekend. Kicking off with Indy, then the Detroit Grand Prix and ending with two drag racing events, the Detroit Dragway Reunion and NHRA in Norwalk. A lot of miles on the old beast and on my feet.
Kicking off the summer we trekked down to Indianapolis for the 100th running of the Indy 500, a birthday gift to my father and was a bucket list trip.
Tips I have for first time Indy Goers.
- Pack patience-yes it took us 4 hours to go a total of 12 miles. Yes it was bumper to bumper, no there was not a way around it.
- Pack good walking shoes-we parked exactly 4.1 miles from the speedway and had to walk too and from the vehicle, along with that you could also explore parking venues that provide shuttle service.
- Lots of water-May could be hot, this year it was 84 on raceday and dehydration could sneak up and bite you. Luckily that did not happen to any of my group.
- Enjoy the atmosphere-Indy has a unique presence, it’s mecca for race fans, take every moment and savor it. Every moment of Indy is special the spotlight is on Indy that day and you are a part of the greatest race in history. Live it and breath it. Indy is a place for me where I had to pinch myself and keep asking am I really here?
- Buy the memories-what I mean is if you see something you like, buy it. Who knows that sponsor may not be back next year, or might change sponsorship. Me I brought home the milk bottle and the gasmonkey shirt.
- Wave at the Firehawk aka the Racing Rooster
- and this is the most important. ENJOY